Additional software tools to learn.

 


As I progress through my Bachelor's program at SAIT I have noted how much time we spend with ArcGIS Pro. I don't necessarily see this as a huge problem, as it is a dominant force with the GIS sphere, and while we are largely focussed on it as a tool, there are underlying concepts being taught as well.  However, to make us as saleable and knowledgeable as possible, I believe SAIT should look into introducing the members of the program a little of these other tools.

I know the obvious choice here is QGIS. While I agree that within this program we could, perhaps even *SHOULD* learn something about QGIS, it is not the tool I wanted to talk about briefly today.

Within my day to day work as a geological technologist with an oil & gas company, I became one of the people who helped build visualizations with TIBCO's Spotfire, at first this was simply adding on and working with an existing dashboard, but as we progressed I was required to learn more.  This is where I first ran into R.  It had some intriguing ideas in it, but to be honest, at this time I only scratched the surface, learning just enough to accomplish the task at hand.  This was before I had started back to school as well.  

Since that time I have been more formally adopted into the data analytics team, which has again prompted me to look into R a little deeper.  Simultaneously the courses within the BGIS program began looking into statistics again.  

So now I am sitting here wondering why this easily accessible statistics and data science-oriented language with a strong GIS toolset isn't being taught, at least as a footnote somewhere.  




Comments